3.06.2011

Reflections

As I've thought about re-entering the blogging world, I've given some consideration to what my purpose would be in it.  Those of you who know me well know I nearly always something to say, but that doesn't always necessitate speaking.  So what, then?

This idea of the mirror has been rolling around in my mind.  Perhaps because as a woman, I have a love hate relationship with the mirror.  The image that stares back at me is frustrating at times.  It can be a source of pain for a lot of us.  I think about the image that used to stare back at me and how I wish I would have known then how lovely it was rather than picking it apart.  I am blown away at hand how many hours of life we spend standing in front of the mirror examining and criticizing what we see, adjusting it, and comparing it with other images.  And yet we can't help ourselves can we?  It's hard to walk past a mirror without checking my reflection (and be honest - you can't either). 

I'll tell you why this is frustrating.  We weren't created to be the ones casting the image.  We were designed to be the mirror


Genesis 1:27 tells us that "God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."  We are made imago Dei.  Image bearers.  God created you and I to declare who He is to the world around us, to display His glory.  Unfortunately our sin makes what should be a lovely reflection distorted and fuzzy at best.  And worse than that, we'd rather take God's place than bear His reflection.

The good news is that Christ did this perfectly.  Hebrews 1:3 tells us that Christ is the "radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of His being." It is by Christ alone that this distorted and broken mirror can tell you anything about the nature of God.

And that is my hope for this blog: that every reflection would be just that.

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/the-power-that-wields-the-weapon

No comments:

Post a Comment